Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My Journal Quilt is Home Again

My journal quilt 'Flight Over Greenland' is home again. It has been in the Journal Quilts Elements exhibit that has been traveling to all of the IQA shows this year. You may have seen my second Flight Over Greenland quilt that I posted a couple of months ago...it still is not quilted.

This quilt is based on a picture that I took when I was returning from a business trip to Denmark. I was sitting in business class and
everyone was watching movies so all the window shades
were closed. The pilot announced that we were flying over
Greenland and that in was a really beautiful sight. I opened my window shade and was stunned by the simple beauty of this scene. The sky was an incredible blue and the snow covered mountains surrounded by icy water glistened in the bright sun. I always have my camera and immediately started taking pictures. This was not a popular thing since I was letting in light and I did get some dirty looks from the people around me. I knew that this had to be my journal quilt so I could share this incredible sight and hopefully help people appreciate our beautiful earth.

This piece is painted whole cloth with Angelina fibers added to give sparkle to the water. The 'window' is painted shirt interfacing.

12 comments:

Kim D. said...

Beautiful Quilt. I'm originally from Alaska so I've seen plenty of these scenes and it reminds me of home.

Linda Robertus said...

Wow, this is a great quilt!

Yvonne said...

Wow, I'll bet it was beautiful! The quilt is!

Beena said...

What a splendid recreated "view". Love how you did the window itself...very innovative and it just cinches the whole deal!

Vivien Zepf said...

This is a great quilt. I'm happy to see it again to admire it once more.

Judy Alexander said...

Thank you all for your compliments. Hopefully I will get the second one done soon.....

Michelle said...

Hi Judy,

What an amazing design and story for a quilt. How lucky you are to have seen and captured Greenland in such a creative way!

Thank you so much for your comments on my blog, happy "belated" blog anniversary to you!

Michelle

Judy Martin said...

Congratulations for having your camera ready to take this photo, and the idea to translate it literally to a journal quilt. You are a natural photographer with a definite eye of the quilter.

Genie said...

Beautiful Quilt Judy.

beatrice De said...

It look like out side the window' plane... but, the *hublot... is not square ! Interesting !

BĂ©atrice de Lausanne en Suisse.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comment, love this quilt you've made, it's beautiful

wanda art. said...

Hi Judy,
a beautiful is your art. I like your art, hugz, Wanda