Thursday, September 3, 2009

How I did the salt painting

I was too tired last night to give the details on how I did the salt painting in the previous post, so here they are. I use setacolor transparent paints in most of my fabric painting and that is what I used on this. I painted lemon yellow, oriental red and a mix of lemon yellow with just a drop of the red, on water misted fabric. Then I misted the fabric one more time and sprinkled Morton's Rock salt over the piece. One more shot with the mister and then I took it outside to dry.

I was thinking about the results since this is not what salted pieces usually look like. Usually the salt effect is much more predominate and it creates some dark spots around the larger pieces of salt. My box of salt is about 3 years old and has been open the whole time. As you can imagine, it can get pretty humid in the Atlanta area. I was wondering if maybe the salt has absorbed some of the humidity and has lost some of its effectiveness. I will have to get some new salt and see.

2 comments:

Beena said...

I think your results were great! Thanks for sharing the technique with us!

Gloria said...

I love your blog and the way you show what and how you create things. Saw your post on QA list about photo problem and so glad you included your bog address. Inspiring!