I have been in a real creative slump lately so I thought I would do a journal quilt to get me moving again. I am calling this one 'Morning In the Garden' and it measures 9" x 11".
I bought some watercolor crayons about a month ago and last week was playing around with them and painted the large flower and green fabric on the left. This started as a larger piece on its own and I even added batting and backing and did the quilting and thread painting. Then I decided I hated it..... out came the scissors and I cut away the right side. I stated looking through my stash for a fabric to put it on. I laid what was left of the original piece on the orange/yellow fabric and added another layer of batting and backing fabric. I stitched down the orange flower and leaves (through all 6 layers) stuffing fiber fill under the flower petals to give them a 3D look. I also intentionally ironed in all of the wrinkles I could get on the leaves for additional texture. I then quilted the orange/yellow fabric. It still needed something else.
The black flower stems on the lower right are made from self adhesive cord that I found on clearance in the scrap booking department. The small blue flowers were made by cutting two, about an inch in diameter circles from organza and one from a silver fabric. I then layered the silver circle between the two organza circles and did an anchoring stitch in the center to hold them together. Out came the heat gun and holding the circles with long tweezers, I heated them until they melted into the flower shape I wanted. I did over do one and had to toss it but the others came out ok. The heat gun will melt the organza quickly so it can take a little trial and error to get it right. I then stitched down the stems and flowers and added beads to the centers. Still not done....... I used puff paint to add the stamens to the center of the lily and used Shiva paint sticks to add some highlights.
I took this picture from a side view trying to show the dimension in this piece. Click on the photos to get a larger view and better sense of the dimension. I think I might mount this to a painted canvas.