This is really outside of the box for me. This piece started with 1/2 yard of Phil Beavers Indiana Harvest commercial fabric that had the look of a hand dye. When I found it in my stash I put it up on my design wall for a couple of days and just looked at it in passing. I knew I wanted to do something with it since I loved the colors but I thought it still needed something more so I got out the paint.
I reluctantly cut about 3 inches off of one end and mixed paints to match the burgundy, green, blue and carmel/tan colors. This took several tries to get it right. I used Setacolor and Jacquard paints diluted only about 20% so I could get good coverage. I then just started to add color where I thought it needed it for interest and balance. While painting, one eye just seemed to appear quite by accident. Once I saw it I added the other eye and straightened the sinister looking face.
Once the face appeared I couldn't really see anything else. It was so scary looking that I debated whether I should quilt it or paint over it again. I decided to go ahead and quilt it since I have really been trying to focus on improving my FMQ. You can see from the detail that my FMQ is starting to look a little better. Finished size is 38h x 22w. If you have trouble seeing the face click on the full image to see a closeup.