Friday, October 24, 2008

Georgia Quilts - It's Actually a Winner!

Last weekend was the first Georgia Quilts Quilt Show. My quilt 'Peak Performance' took 3ard place in the large wall category. This quilt was started over a year ago when I hand painted the background and then added the foliage and foreground with various fabrics. For some reason I really didn't like the results and let this be a UFO for around 10 months. I finally added borders and extended the scene into the border.
I attempted to finish this several times with no luck. Just when I was ready to cut the piece up I found out about this show and was determined to finish. I free motion quilted the leaves on the border and then was disappointed that they did not show so I painted them with soft pastels and highlights of gold fabric paint. This still is not one of my favorite pieces but I guess that it was worth finishing.

1 comment:

frazzledsugarplummum said...

I like this. I wonder if it is the combination of the gold/apricot on the left with the strawberry/apricot in the trees further to the right that disturbs you. I especially like how you have carried the landscape into the borders. Sometimes I get things that eventually sort of turn out ok too. Thanks for sharing.
Shirley