I have had a big boost in enthusiasm for this project. I gave a short talk and trunk show at the East Cobb Quilt Guild about my work last Friday and was really re-energized by the feedback I received
This is really a major step forward in completing this project. I have spent about 12 hours in the last 4 days stitching down all of the pieces on this quilt. If you are new to my process here is what I do: first I create a base to work on, then I free form cut fabrics to create the design and use a glue stick to hold them in place. Next I stitch down all of the pieces that I have put on the quilt with clear thread.
This quilt measures about 4ft wide by 6ft tall and it must have at least a couple hundred pieces. The water was the hardest part since I used so much angle hair, shredded batting and Angelina, I really didn't think I was going to be able to move the piece from the design wall to the sewing machine. It has 1 to several layers of light pink tulle over it to hold it in place. I am thrilled to be done with this step since I find this part to be my least favorite!
Tomorrow I plan to get out my fabric paints and add more depth to the rocks and shadows on the shoreline and in the water. I am starting to believe I will be able to have this complete in time to enter it into the Houston quilt show in the fall. Stay tuned!